Can Dogs Eat Cucumbers? Are Cucumbers Safe for Dogs to Eat?

Can dogs eat cucumber

Cucumbers are a versatile fruit (yes, fruit!) and we humans use them in salads, sandwiches, and green juices. Because they’re a staple in many people’s homes, it also means they’re around our dogs a lot.

So what happens if your dog grabs a slice of cucumber off your plate? Can dogs eat cucumbers? Are they safe?

The good news is you don’t need to worry. Dogs can eat cucumber – in fact, they’re a healthy snack for pups to eat. Here’s what you need to know about feeding your pooch this fruit.

Are Cucumbers Good For Dogs to Eat?

Cucumbers are a great tasty treat for you to give your dog. Like other fruits you can feed them (such as watermelon, avocado, or pineapple), it’s all about moderation. Unlike other fruits, however, cucumbers contain very few calories (which is why we get told to eat them too).

If you feed your dog half a cup of cucumber they’ll only be getting 8 calories. That’s in comparison to the 40 calories that most dog treats contain.

What’s more, some standard dog treats contain artificial colorings, flavors, and added salt. Cucumbers, however, are 95% water – which doesn’t leave a lot of room for anything else (just like lettuce)!

Because of their high water content and low-calorie count, cucumbers are an especially good treat for dogs that need to lose weight or diabetic pups. They’re tasty and a great way for our furry friends to cool down after exercise or on a hot day. 

Although 95% water, the other 5% is packed full of vitamins and minerals. Cucumbers contain vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, and magnesium which are all components of a healthy dog’s diet. 

Can Dogs Eating Cucumbers Be Dangerous?

Yes, cucumbers are a healthy treat but you know what they say about too much of a good thing. Feeding your pup a lot of cucumber could cause problems in your dog’s digestive tract such as a stomach upset, vomiting, or diarrhea.

Whenever you introduce something new into your dog’s diet it’s important you monitor them to make sure they don’t have any reactions to the new food.

Another possible hazard of feeding your dog human foods such as cucumber is choking. To minimize the risk of this snack becoming a choking hazard, cut the cucumber up into bite-sized pieces to make swallowing easier.

A further way to reduce the risk of a stomach upset or choking is to remove the cucumber skin and seeds. These can both be difficult for pups to digest and swallow.

two dogs eating cucumbers

Can Dogs Eat Pickled Cucumbers?

There’s not really much room in your dog’s daily diet for pickled vegetables. That’s because these often contain additives such as salt and vinegar which your pup doesn’t need to eat. Many also contain onions, garlic, and mustard seeds which can be toxic to dogs. This is the reason why dogs shouldn’t eat pickled olives too.

Can Puppies and Senior Dogs Eat Cucumber?

Many dogs love cucumbers, and that includes puppies and seniors. As long as your dog doesn’t have any particular digestive troubles, then safe, fresh veggies can be a great added extra to their diet. There are lots of health benefits for all ages.

Another bonus for young and old dogs is that (peeled and deseeded) cucumber is fairly easy to eat and doesn’t require that many teeth! You could also try cutting fresh cucumbers up and freezing them for a good teething snack or as a way to cool down on a hot summer day. If your puppy loves to chew, try getting them an indestructible dog toy and freezing cucumber inside.

As with older dogs, make sure you only feed your puppy a little cucumber and monitor them for any possible reactions.

cucumbers, dogs eating cucumbers

How Much Cucumber Can Dogs Eat?

As a dog owner, you want to make sure you’re feeding your pup the correct amount of dog food and treats. In general, you should stick to the 10% rule. That means that 90% of your dog’s diet should be nutritious, balanced food formulated by a canine expert. The other 10% can be healthy treats. So, when you feed your dog cucumber, try to bear that in mind. 

The 10% rule, of course, changes depending on the breed of your dog and how much they eat. Your little Chihuahua will probably only need a small piece of raw cucumber as a healthy alternative. A big Newfoundland, however, might like a cucumber smoothie (frozen inside a cute toy) or a couple more pieces.

Can Dogs Eat Cucumber Seeds?

Cucumber seeds are not toxic to dogs, so they can eat them. However, some pups (especially puppies) may find it difficult to digest cucumber seeds. It’s best to de-seed cucumber before giving it to your dog to make it easier for them.

Can Dogs Eat Cucumber Skin?

Washed cucumber skin isn’t toxic to dogs either. However, it can be tough and difficult to digest. You should remove cucumber skin so that it doesn’t cause your pup any digestive troubles.

Serving Suggestions

Cucumbers are really versatile and can be served to dogs in lots of different ways.

  • Cucumber Slices. Has your pup learned a new trick? Or behaved well? Why not swap their normal treats for a slice of cucumber?
  • Frozen. Freeze chunks of cucumber for a refreshing, cooling snack.
  • Ice cream. Whip together some cucumber and broccoli and freeze it inside a puzzle toy. This will keep your pup entertained for hours!
  • With a little peanut butter. Our doggos love peanut butter so why not put a little on a slice of cucumber for a change in texture.
  • With normal food. Mix chunks of cucumber into their regular food to get them to consume more liquid.

Conclusion – Can Dogs Eat Cucumbers?

Yes! Cucumber is a safe and healthy snack for dogs to eat. This fruit is mainly water so it’s a great way to give your pup a low-calorie treat and keep them hydrated. Like all things, moderation is key. Don’t feed your pup too much as it could upset their stomachs. It’s best to remove the difficult-to-digest peel and seeds too. There are loads of ways to serve cucumber to your dogs and they’re sure to love the variety in their diet!

Does your dog like cucumbers? What other fruits do they enjoy?

You might also be interested in whether dogs can eat zucchini. Find out!