Can Dogs Eat Pineapple? Is It a Safe Sweet Treat For Them Too?
It’s a popular sweet fruit for cocktails, fruit salads, and – dare we say it – pizzas. But can dogs eat pineapple? Is it a safe fruit for them to have too? Well, the good news for pineapple lovers is that it’s safe to give your pup slices of this delicious fruit. Just like watermelon and cucumber, pineapple is nutritious and a healthy snack for dogs. But as is the case with other fruits too, moderation is key. Here’s what you need to know about feeding your dog pineapple.
Can Dogs Eat Pineapple?
Yes! It’s safe to feed your dog pineapple. Not only is it a deliciously tangy snack that your dog will love, but it’s also good for them. There are lots of benefits to adding pineapple to their diet.
- Vitamin B6. This is a really important coenzyme that helps body and brain functions. It also helps to regulate your dog’s hormones and fluid balance.
- Vitamin C. As is the case for humans, vitamin C can help to boost your dog’s immune system and also acts as an anti-inflammatory.
- Antioxidant. Antioxidants are important in repairing cells and general bodily health.
- Minerals. Minerals are a crucial part of your dog’s diet. They help ensure your pup has strong tissue, healthy skin and hair, and strong ligaments.
- Hydration. Pineapples are 87% water and they contain lots of important electrolytes which can really help your dog keep hydrated on a hot day.
Is It Safe For Dogs to Eat Pineapple?
Pineapple can be really nutritious for dogs to eat but there are a couple of things to bear in mind. Pineapples have a high natural sugar content (like peaches) and contain a lot of fiber. Whilst in small amounts there’s not a lot to worry about, too much sugar and fiber can cause problems in your dog’s digestive system – including diarrhea and constipation.
What’s more, the high natural sugar content can be a problem for diabetic dogs or dogs who are prone to an upset stomach. It may also wear down your dog’s enamel and cause tooth decay.
How Should You Feed Your Dog Pineapple?
If your dog has any health conditions, check with your vet before feeding them pineapple.
If your pup is fit and healthy then feeding them a small amount of pineapple can be a really nice, nutritious, and delicious treat. You should prepare the fruit in the same way you would for yourself. Remove the spiky outer layer (that no one would want to eat!) and also the hard, woody core. These can cause intestinal blockages that can be painful and potentially harmful. Here are some ways your pooch can enjoy fresh pineapple:
- As a treat. When your dog learns a new trick or is particularly well behaved, why not give them a chunk of pineapple rather than an overly processed dog treat?
- Frozen. Freezing fruit is a great way to serve it to your dog. Frozen pineapple chunks will keep your dog entertained as they lick it on a hot day!
- Pineapple smoothie. Whipping up pineapple and freezing it inside a toy (like this cute binkie toy for puppies) is a great way for your dog to enjoy this tropical fruit.
- Mixing with yogurt. Giving your pup a little dog-safe yogurt with their pineapple makes it even tastier!
Make sure you cut the pineapple up into chunks that are a suitable size for your dog to eat.
How Much Pineapple Should You Give Your Dog?
When thinking about giving your dog human food, you should always remember the 10% rule. 90% of your dog’s daily diet should be balanced dog food and 10% can be nutritious treats. Because pineapple does contain a lot of sugar and fiber, it’s best to only feed them a couple of small chunks a day.
Can Dogs Eat Canned Pineapple or Dried Pineapple?
Whilst raw pineapple is a tasty treat to feed your dogs, you should avoid canned pineapple and dried pineapple. These usually contain a lot of extra sugar and preservatives which your pup doesn’t need as part of their balanced diet.
Likewise, pineapple juice can contain a lot of added sugar, so it’s best to keep to water. Feeding your dog pineapple chunks is fine but it should only be raw, fresh pineapple.
So, Can Dogs Eat Pineapple?
Yes, dogs can eat pineapple. In fact, fresh pineapple is a healthy treat that many dog owners like to give their pup on a hot summer’s day. If you want to feed pineapple to your dog make sure it’s fresh and never dried or canned as they contain lots of extra sugar. It’s also important not to feed them too much as this can cause stomach troubles. In moderation, pineapple can be a delicious snack for your pup to munch on!