10 Best GPS Dog Collars To Help You Stay On Your Dog’s Tail
Some dogs are real escape artists (*we’re looking at you Huskies*). You can put all the fencing in place, train them to return, and they still manage to go missing. But even well-behaved pups can get spooked or scared by something and run off. And as most pet owners know – there’s really no worse feeling. That’s why getting your dog a GPS tracker is a great idea. A good pet tracker can help you to locate your dog miles away so that you can get to them as quickly as possible and know that they’re safe. We’ve done the research and come up with some amazing pet trackers so you can decide which is the best GPS dog collar for you and your furry best friend!
- Uses GPS, WIFI, and Bluetooth
- Accurate and gives you reports on your dog’s health and actions in the last 24 hours
- Can track multiple dogs for up to 12 miles
- Durable and completely waterproof
- Provides extra details such as direction and speed
- Remote sound activiation
- Endorsed by the American Kennel Club
- Uses GPS, WIFI, and Bluetooth
What Are GPS Dog Collars and How Do They Work?
Roughly one in three pets in the US will get lost at some point in their lives. That’s a lot of scared animals wondering where their owners are or how they can get home. So imagine if all of those millions of pet parents could use their phones or another remote device to find their lost pup? Well, that’s exactly what a GPS dog tracker does. It reunites you with your lost dog as quickly as possible, minimizing stress for everyone and allowing you to make sure your dog is safe.
What’s the Technology?
Many dog trackers use different technologies to find lost pets. In general, GPS works best for the average dog owner who just wants to find their runaway dog, but radio dog collars and short-distance collars also have their benefits.
GPS Dog Collars
A GPS dog tracker works by connecting the tracking device to GPS satellites. As long as you and your pup’s collar can connect to three global satellites at any given time, you’ll be able to track and find exactly where your doggo is. These types of dog collars don’t work so well if you live in an extremely remote area (where you won’t be able to connect to satellites) and many of them don’t work indoors. For those not living at the top of a mountain, they’re an ideal solution to finding lost dogs.
Radio Dog Collars
Radio collars are the best bet for those living in really remote areas or for those who have working mountain dog breeds. They provide distance and directional data (rather than an exact location) but they don’t rely on satellites to locate a pup.
These pet trackers send a signal from your dog’s collar to your mobile device (often over Bluetooth). Rather than being able to track your lost dog in the woods, a short-distance tracker is better used for knowing where your dog is on the farm, in a large house, or garden. They’re not as precise as GPS dog trackers but are a bit smaller which can make them easier for tiny pups to wear.
Apart From Your Pet’s Location, What Else Can These Collars Track?
Some collars also check your pet’s activity levels – kind of like a Fitbit. They can monitor your dog’s heartbeat, when they’re exercising or resting, and their respiration levels. Many dog owners find these kinds of reports useful so they can manage their dog’s health and weight. Some collars also measure your pup’s temperature which can be helpful in warmer and colder months.
Is a GPS Dog Collar the Best Way to Be Reunited With a Lost Pet?
Pet GPS trackers are a great way for you to know where your pet is and make sure they’re safe. They aren’t, however, a replacement for getting your pup chipped. Most shelters and vets have chip reading devices and these are a really secure way of finding your doggo again. A combination of using a pet tracker and a chip is the best chance you have of being reunited.
What to Think About Before Buying a GPS Dog Tracker
There are a few key factors you need to consider before buying a GPS tracker to ensure you get the best one for you and your dog.
- Durability. If your dog is anything like ours, then they’ll love to go exploring when they’re off the leash. You need to make sure that any GPS collar can keep up with your dog’s fun adventures and that it will last a long time.
- Waterproof. Have you got a pup that loves swimming and jumping in and out of muddy puddles? Then you want to make sure your GPS dog collar is waterproof and won’t break with the first drop of water. This is also really useful if your pup goes missing during a downpour! You can find more waterproof dog collars here.
- Battery life. There wouldn’t be any point in your pup wearing a GPS collar if the battery runs out before you find them or if it isn’t charged to begin with. It’s important to get a collar with a good battery life that can cover all eventualities. It’s also worth checking if there’s an ‘inactive’ mode which means the collar isn’t sending out a signal when your pup isn’t busy. This can help to prolong the battery life.
- Functionality. You’ll also need to decide whether you want the pet tracker to monitor other things apart from location, such as activity levels, health, and temperature.
The Best GPS Dog Collars in 2022
Finding the best GPS dog collar for your pup depends on many different things. Luckily for you, we’ve done the research and come up with the best ones on the market so you can all keep your pups safe!
Whistle GO Explore GPS Tracker
As well as tracking your dog’s whereabouts, you can also receive health reports from the last 24 hours. It’s waterproof and durable!
This is a great GPS collar attachment that can monitor your dog’s live location and activity levels (licking, scratching, and sleeping). It’s suitable for small, medium, and large dogs and comes in three different colors. When you register the tracker, you can set up boundaries on the app and receive alerts and updates whenever your dog leaves them.
- The battery can last up to 20 days with just one charge! There’s also a built-in LED light which makes it easier to spot your lost pooch.
- Uses GPS, WIFI, and Bluetooth for great coverage.
- You can see and monitor your dog’s actions and whereabouts from the last 24 hours. The app will also send you a weekly health report.
- You can attach the GPS tracker to any collar (it comes with an attachment for collars larger than 1 inch) or buy the Whistle GO collar separately.
- It’s a sleek and pretty small device compared to some other dog GPS trackers.
- It’s waterproof and can be submerged 6 feet in water. No need to worry about the collar if your pup is a water lover!
- Many pup parents love that it’s a really accurate pet tracker.
- You have to set up a monthly or yearly subscription plan.
- Owners will find it less reliable in areas where there’s poor cellular service.
PetFon 2 Pet GPS Tracker
This collar allows you to upload voice commands in the eventuality your pup goes missing! It’s durable and lightweight too.
This lightweight yet durable GPS pet tracker is a great choice if you don’t want to pay a monthly subscription. It uses Bluetooth, Wifi, and GPS to cover 3.5 miles in open spaces and 0.6 miles in built-up areas. Something unique to the PetFon dog GPS tracker is that you can upload voice commands which you can activate if your pup leaves its safe zone. This can be a great initial step in making your dog come back before they get too far away.
- Automatically activated lights make it easier to see your pup after dark.
- No subscription plan.
- Provides accurate, real-time results. It also uses a unique system to show you the direction in which your dog is moving.
- No SIM card or cellular network is necessary which can help with location tracking in areas with no signal.
- Can set up light and sound alarms if your dog escapes.
- Compared to other dog GPS trackers the battery life isn’t as good. The PetFon device can last 8-16 hours.
- This collar attachment is rain-proof but not waterproof. That should be enough for walks in the rain but not if your dog loves to jump in and out of water!
- The tracking range could be improved, especially in built-up areas.
Tractive LTE GPS Dog Tracker
A great and versatile dog collar that is comfortable, waterproof, and has real-time tracking.
The Tractive LTE tracker works in over 150 countries! It uses AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verison to pinpoint your dog’s exact location (regardless of which cell network you’re with). As well as finding missing pups, you can monitor your dog’s activity and set up virtual boundaries around your house. You’ll be notified by the app (either iOS or Android) or web browser as soon as your mischievous pet leaves the safe space.
- This tracking device has a battery life of up to 5 days and can be completely recharged in just 2 hours!
- As far as dog tracking collars go, this is a great one for owners who are curious about exactly what their dog gets up to. It features a LIVE mode that can give you updates every 2 seconds so you can always know where your pooch is.
- You can share your dog’s location history and data with family or via a public link in case you need the help of others in locating your dog.
- You can track your dog’s activity as well as calorie intake to make sure they’re healthy.
- 100% waterproof!
- A monthly subscription is necessary, in addition to the cost of the tracking device.
Link AKC Smart Dog Collar
Durable, stylish, and comfortable – this AKC endorsed collar is great for finding lost pups. It even has remote sound activation!
This is a stylish, accurate GPS tracker loved by dog owners across the US. It’s endorsed by the American Kennel Club, which has to say something! You can either get the pet tracker in classic (leather) or sport (nylon) which can be attached to your dog’s own collar or you can buy the Link Smart collar separately. As with other GPS pet trackers, you can set up safe areas and you’ll get notifications if your pup escapes.
- Uses GPS, Wifi, and Bluetooth.
- The collar (and tracking device) are very lightweight, making it comfortable for your dog.
- It has remote sound activation that’s good for training. There are also LED lights that make finding your dog easier.
- Sturdy and durable construction and fabrics.
- It stores vet records and gives you helpful health reminders.
- You can store and share your (and your pet’s!) favorite walks and hikes.
- You’ll need a monthly service plan.
- It’s not completely waterproof but is water-resistant.
- Some users note that it doesn’t work as well in crowded or built-up areas, including large woods.
Garmin T5 GPS Tracker
The Garmin T 5X is not reliant on cell network, so it’s perfect for those walking or living in remote areas. Tracking is possible 9 miles away!
How annoying is it when you go to use your cell phone and you have no service? Well, this Garmin GPS collar is a good solution – especially if you like to hike or hunt in remote areas. Unlike other dog GPS trackers, this one doesn’t use cell networks or phone apps to locate your pup. The collar has a detachable antenna which gives you a range of up to 9 miles! There’s no monthly subscription, but it is a little more expensive than other GPS collars because you need to buy the handheld tracker for you too (as well as the collar). That being said, you can track more than one pup with one handheld tracker.
- Really wide range which can help you to accurately locate your dog.
- You don’t need a smartphone or to download any apps – but you will need to buy a handheld device.
- Built-in lights to make it easier to spot your doggo.
- It has a fairly short battery life (compared to some of the other GPS collars). It ranges from 20-40 hours but it can be charged by an AC port or a computer, which is useful for those on the move.
- If you only have one dog, it works out fairly expensive.
- This collar isn’t designed for small pups. Your dog’s neck needs to be at least 9.5 inches. However, seeing as this is a GPS tracker designed more for long hikes and rural terrain, that shouldn’t be such a problem!
Cube Real-Time GPS Tracker
There’s no need to buy an entire collar with Cube, you can simply attach it to your dog’s existing one for comfort!
This tracker is a device that you can attach to your dog’s existing collar, making it extra comfy for them. It’s equipped with a SIM card that connects to Verizon’s cellular network so it can be used all over the US. You can set up invisible fences around your home and you’ll receive notifications any time your dog leaves them. It’s an accurate tracker and you’ll feel happy knowing exactly where your dog is!
- The rechargeable battery can last 10 to 60 days (depending on use)!
- You can get low battery notifications which are really useful.
- Lightweight and durable design. The dog GPS tracker also comes with a one-year warranty.
- You can remotely ring the tracker if you can’t find your pet.
- It can be multi-use. When you’re not using the tracker on your dog’s collar, it can be used to locate vehicles and belongings in real-time.
- You’ll need to pay an annual or monthly subscription for the SIM.
- It’s not one of the best GPS dog collars in areas with poor cell service.
Bartun LTE GPS Collar
This tracking collar has enormous coverage – it works in over 150 countries! Suitable for large and small pups, it’s a great choice for all breeds!
The Bartun LTE GPS collar is a great choice if you want to track your pup in real-time with worldwide location tracking. It works in 150 countries! It’s also designed to be specifically waterproof, which is ideal if you have a water-loving pup. As with other collars, you can set up a virtual safe area and you’ll be alerted if your dog ‘jumps’ the fence. You can also manage your dog’s activity levels as the app can tell how many miles they’ve walked and the calories they’ve burned.
- Great coverage so you can pinpoint your lost pup.
- The device has built-in multi-colored lights that can be activated after dark. You can also customize your own ringtone which you can use to find your pup.
- The tracker can either be attached to your dog’s collar or you can use the collar it comes with. The collar is adjustable to fit larger pups and small dogs/cats alike.
- You can engage standby mode which makes the battery last up to 10 days.
- This device uses a SIM card that supports 4G. It’s not included with the tracker so you’ll need to buy one.
FitBark GPS Dog Tracker
This is a great collar if you’re after a GPS collar that can also monitor your pup’s health. It’s small, lightweight, and stylish!
For those owners wanting to get a GPS tracker to monitor health-related issues as well as locate their dog, this is a great option. You can track things such as the quality of your dog’s sleep, anxiety levels, skin conditions, and the calories they burn during the day. It works by connecting to Verizon cellular networks and is a reliable way for you to keep your dog safe.
- Lightweight (just 17 grams), shock-resistant, and waterproof.
- You can add more than one person to the app, which means other family members, sitters, or dog walkers can also track your pooch.
- This dog tracker has a long battery life of 10 to 20 days.
- Stylish design which attaches to your pet’s collar (as long as it’s a flat collar).
- You’ll need to buy a monthly subscription.
- This GPS device won’t be as accurate in areas with little Verizon coverage.
Fi Series 2 GPS Smart Dog Collar
A stylish GPS collar that comes in multiple colors and has a battery life of 3 months! Can track dogs for 2 days when on lost dog mode.
This is a really high-tech collar for your dog and one of the best GPS trackers. It’s stylish, colorful, and sure to keep your pup safe! It comes in 4 different colors and sizes so that you find the perfect look for your dog. As well as using GPS to locate your dog at all times, you can also track their activity levels to make sure your pet is getting enough exercise. If you choose to, you can also compare what your pup gets up to with other dogs in the neighborhood or with the same breed.
- Highly durable, lightweight, and waterproof. It should last you a long time!
- Receive alerts whenever your pup escapes and real-time track them.
- This collar has a particularly long battery life (up to 3 months!) which pet owners love! In areas of bad signal, the smart collar will save battery power. It’s that intelligent!
- When set to lost dog mode, the collar flashes red and the battery life can last 2 days, updating every minute.
- Less accurate when used in particularly built-up areas.
- Some owners note that the app shows your dog to constantly be at home if it’s connected to your WIFI. This could be an issue if you have a large house or yard and want to check where your pup is.
SportDOG TEK series Dog GPS Tracker
The SportDOG TEK is ideal for tracking multiple dogs and you can track them up to 12 miles away! Durable, waterproof and you can track speed and direction.
This is an excellent tracking system that works with the locator attached to your dog’s collar and your handheld device. It’s a brilliant choice for those who like to go hiking in areas with poor cell service as it uses both GPS and GLONASS (a Russian satellite navigation system) to precisely locate your dog. When tracking a lost dog, it can tell you which direction they’re heading in and at what speed, giving you extra information and helping you to find them quicker.
- You can track up to 12 dogs in a 7-mile range.
- The collar is completely waterproof and can be submerged up to 25 feet in water (not that you’d need it)!
- Works really well in severe weather conditions. There’s also a voice activation possibility, which can tell you the direction your pups are going in, in case there’s low visibility.
- The device comes with rechargeable batteries. The collar can last 24 hours per charge and the handheld monitor 20 hours.
- It’s a little more expensive than the other dog GPS trackers on the list, but it’s well worth it. You can track multiple dogs and it works in locations others may not.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Should I Get a Dog GPS Tracker?
Getting the best GPS dog collar for your dog can help to keep them safe if they escape. Accidents happen and it’s better to be safe than sorry. Some can also monitor your dog’s health and send you reports which you can share with your vet.
Are All GPS Trackers App-Based?
No! Some require you to download an app but some can work from a browser or a separate handheld device.
Do GPS Tracking Devices Really Work?
Yes! They’re a great way for you to find lost pups or generally monitor what your dog is up to. It’s important you follow the instructions correctly and charge the batteries so that the collar lasts as long as you need it to. Also, make sure you buy an appropriate collar for your situation. If you live in a more remote area or like to hike and hunt away from everyone else, you might want to consider getting a device that doesn’t rely on a cell network and which should give you better location accuracy.
Are They the Best Way to Keep Your Dog Safe?
They’re a great way, but you should also chip your dog. We all know that technology isn’t always 100% reliable and it’s best to have them chipped just in case.
Getting your dog a GPS collar is a great idea. We never know when our pups may run off and it’s an incredibly stressful situation for everyone when they do. A dog GPS tracker can help to find your missing pooch more quickly, which, of course, is a good thing. It’s important you get the correct one for you and make sure they’re fully functional every time. Although a must-buy piece of equipment for most dog owners, they shouldn’t replace good training and taking extra care. They do, however, help you to stay on your dog’s tail when you need to.