The Best Dog Shampoo for Itchy Skin – Our Top 10 Picks for Sensitive Pups
Are you looking for the best dog shampoo to help soothe your pup’s itchy skin? We’ve done our research and rounded up some of the best dog shampoos available that are specifically designed for itchy skin and sensitive pups.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss what may be causing the itchy sensation and share our ultimate list of shampoos that can relieve it. From medicated options to natural formulas, we’ll discuss what ingredients will help soothe your pet’s sensitive skin. Find the perfect shampoo today with confidence – and get relief from itchy skin in no time.
Ready to get started? Let’s dive in!
BarkingTalk is a canine community which means we may earn a small commission on some products purchased through links on our site. You can read more here
- Aloe and Oatmeal to soothe
- Light coconut fragrance
- No prescription
- Nice clean scent
- Recommended by vets
- Great price
- Medicated shampoo
- Free from parabens, dyes and artificial fragrances
Why Do Some Dogs Have Sensitive Skin?
Sensitive skin in dogs can be caused by a number of things, including allergies, poor grooming habits, dry weather, or even genetics. Let’s take a look at some of the most common causes.
Allergies: Some breeds of dogs possess inherently delicate skin (like the Patterdale Terrier). This makes them more vulnerable to particular allergies or skin conditions than other canine species.
Diet: It’s crucial to be aware that diet can significantly influence a canine’s skin sensitivity. Certain foods may spark allergies or digestive issues, which appear as itchy and inflamed skin. In particular, some pups are predisposed to reactions from specific proteins, grains, and gluten products.
Parasitic Infestations: Flea and parasite bites can be detrimental to your pup’s well-being, causing skin irritation which may result in further complications if left untreated. Don’t let your furry friend suffer – give them relief from these pesky critters as soon as possible.
Dry Environments: Prolonged exposure to dry air from indoor heating systems or A/C can cause your pup’s skin to become irritated and dehydrated.
Seasonal: As the climate changes, it’s not unusual for certain dogs to develop skin sensitivities that can result in allergies. In winter, these reactions take shape through dryness and cracking of their fur, while spring and summer increase allergic responses such as itching or redness.
When Do You Need to Worry about the Sensitive Skin of Your Pup?
Regardless of gender, breed, or age, a dog’s skin offers numerous essential health benefits. It is the first line of defense against their environment and makes up 24% of a puppy’s body weight – 13% in adult dogs. Without it, they would be vulnerable to disease and other external threats.
Identifying the early signs of sensitive skin in your pup is key to ensuring their well-being. After all, a dog’s outward appearance can often indicate how they’re feeling inside. So, take note of some typical warning signals, such as:
- If you notice that your furry friend is scratching itself more frequently than usual, this may be indicative of a skin condition or allergies
- Is your pup’s skin feeling parched and flaky? Sensitive skin may be the culprit!
- Excessive shedding can be a telling sign of skin sensitivity in your pup. If you’ve noticed that they’re losing more hair than usual, it could hint at something more serious beneath the surface.
Top 6 Tips to Prevent Skin Sensitivity in Dogs
Preventative measures are always the best option to protect your beloved companion from developing skin problems. By following these tips, you can help reduce the likelihood and severity of any skin sensitivities they may experience.
- Groom your dog: Regular grooming is essential for keeping your pup’s coat and skin in good condition. Use a brush made specifically for the breed of dog you have, and make sure to brush their fur at least once or twice a week.
- Use essential supplements: Certain supplements can help nourish your dog’s skin and coat, such as omega fatty acids, fish oils, and vitamins. Speak to a vet before adding any of these to your pup’s diet.
- Choose Hypoallergenic breeds: A hypoallergenic puppy can be the perfect companion to reduce your susceptibility to allergies by diminishing unwanted pet hair around your house. Don’t you hate shedding? If so, then read our blog on the top 18 dogs that don’t shed.
- Change your dog’s Diet: Just like humans, some dogs can be sensitive to certain food ingredients. If you can pinpoint and remove the offending foods from your canine’s diet, their skin problems may improve drastically. You can also choose fresh foods to improve your dog’s coat and skin health as they often take individual pups’ allergies into account.
- Use the best dog shampoo for sensitive skin: Shampoos that are specifically created for sensitive skin can help reduce inflammation and itchiness.
- Pay regular visits to your Vet: Taking your pup to the vet regularly is one of the most important steps to detect and mobilize treatment options timely. Learn more about proper pet care with our guide on how often you should take your canine companion for a check-up!
Why It’s Good to Use The Best Dog Shampoo for Itchy Skin?
Many pet parents are unaware that medicated shampoos designed for sensitive skin can make a significant difference in managing the symptoms of their dog’s allergies and irritations. These specialized products are formulated to soothe and reduce inflammation, eliminating the need for over-the-counter medications. As a result, your pup will feel more comfortable again!
The ingredients, such as aloe vera, chamomile, oatmeal, and tea tree oil, help to soothe the skin and reduce itching. They can also help to moisturize dry skin, giving your pup relief from flakiness or scaly patches which allergies may cause.
The active ingredients in medicated shampoos are specifically formulated to be gentle enough for pets with sensitive skin, helping to reduce their discomfort without irritating the skin further.
Top 10 Dog Shampoos for Sensitive Skin
By keeping your pet’s needs and skin sensitivities in mind, we’ve curated a collection of ten specially formulated shampoos that can provide the perfect nourishment and care to even the most sensitive dogs.
1. Vetoquinol Aloe & Oatmeal Conditioner for Dogs & Cats
This is a great, vet-recommended shampoo for itchy skin that soothes, relieves, and smells great!
Among the top shampoos for itchy and dry skin, Vetoquinol’s Aloe and Oatmeal Shampoo stands out with its soothing ingredients of aloe vera and oatmeal, which have been known to help relieve allergy symptoms. What makes this product even better is that it’s 100% soap-free! With all these benefits combined, we highly recommend giving Vetoquinol’s shampoo a try as our pick overall.
Aloe & Oatmeal Conditioner is the ideal post-shampoo treatment for both cats and dogs if you’re looking for extra hydration and nourishment for dry and itchy skin. This special conditioner contains organic soothing agents, moisturizers, and essential vitamins that will make your pet’s coat sleek and healthy!
- Soap-free formulation
- Preserves your pup’s natural coat oils
- Highly recommended by Vets
- Soothing coconut fragrance
- It contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate that itself may cause itching in some dogs (very few).
2. KetoChlor Medicated Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
A wonderful shampoo to help balance your pup’s skin and avoid bacterial or fungal infections.
Keep your pet healthy and free from bacterial or fungal skin infections with KetoChlor. This antiseptic cleansing shampoo is specifically designed to reduce the effects of fungus and bacteria on your furry friend’s delicate skin. Give them a spa-like treatment at home using this trusted formula that will leave their coat looking beautiful!
KetoChlor is an effective solution for skin conditions caused by topical bacteria or yeast. This low-lather shampoo contains 2.3% chlorhexidine gluconate and 1% ketoconazole, disrupting the colonization of microorganisms on the skin while delaying irritation. It not only rinses easily but also leaves you with a refreshingly clean scent!
- Antiseptic and antifungal properties
- Highly recommended by Vets
- No Prescription required
- Medicated formula to treat bacterial and fungal infections
- It is essential to consult your veterinarian before using KetoChlor in combination with any other medications, supplements, or vitamins, as interactions can occur.
- Comes at a premium price
- Eye Irritant
3. Frisco Anti-Itch Dog Shampoo with Aloe
A good-smelling, medicated shampoo that will keep your pup itch-free and happy!
Pamper your pooch in this soothing, aloe vera and tea tree oil-infused anti-itch shampoo from Frisco by Chewy. Designed specifically for dogs, it quickly cleans and deodorizes without irritating delicate skin while providing temporary relief from itching and discomfort.
Free of parabens, dyes, or artificial fragrances with only a hint of the refreshing aroma of tea tree oil – Lather up your pup today!
- Cost Effective
- Hypoallergenic shampoo for itchy skin allergies
- Deodorizing and medicated
- A unique formulation of vitamins A, E, B5
- Not recommended for lactating and pregnant dogs
- Very pungent odor
4. Malaseb Shampoo
A great shampoo for pups with itchy skin or who suffer from a skin infection.
Give your pup or kitty the relief they deserve with Malaseb Shampoo. Recommended by veterinarians, this prescription shampoo is formulated to help treat itchy skin conditions.
A combination of chlorhexidine gluconate and miconazole nitrate work together to reduce discomfort caused by bacterial and fungal infections so your furry friend can feel better in no time.
- Antifungal and antiseptic properties
- Veterinary-approved and recommended.
- Crafted to provide relief from itching
- Antifungal and antiseptic properties
- Requires Prescription
5. TropiClean Hypo-Allergenic Gentle Coconut Puppy & Kitten Shampoo
This shampoo contains natural ingredients which help balance the PH of your pup’s skin.
Are you Searching for a shampoo that will nourish and comfort your precious pup’s sensitive skin? TropiClean Hypo-Allergenic Coconut Shampoo will provide gentle relief with its natural aloe, oatmeal, and coconut ingredients.
This special formula is also pH balanced to be mild on your pup’s developing coat. Get them feeling better soon with this one-of-a-kind anti-itch solution!
Enjoy the heavenly aroma of coconut on your beloved pet, leaving them feeling refreshed and ready for snuggles!
- Non-irritating gentle clean
- Softens the coat
- Tough on dirt and not on pets
- Natural ingredients
- Eye irritant
- Pungent odor
- Excessive use may dry out the skin
6. Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo with Colloidal Oat Flour & Honey for Dogs
97% natural ingredients are PH balanced in this gentle shampoo for your pooch
Burt’s Bees Oatmeal with Colloidal Oat Flour Dog Shampoo is a natural and safe solution to soothe irritated skin of your pup!
Crafted in the United States, this mild shampoo is free from artificial fragrances, chemicals, phthalates, or parabens. As well as that, it does not include sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) or petrolatum. To make things even better, colloidal oat flour has been used to intensely condition, and honey has been added for a glossy coat while remaining perfectly pH balanced – what more could you ask for?
So keep your BFF clean without worry of potential nasty side effects from added ingredients!
- 97% Natural
- pH balanced
- Formulated with nourishing colloidal oatmeal to condition and hydrate dry skin.
- Free of artificial aromas
- Proudly made in the United States and packaged in an eco-friendly bottle of 80% recycled material.
- Poor lathering
- Watery consistency
7. Douxo S3 CALM Soothing Itchy, Hydrated Skin Dog & Cat Shampoo
A nice-smelling shampoo that’s free from sulfates, soaps, and dyes to soothe skin.
Give your furry friend the pampering they deserve with Douxo S3 CALM Dog & Cat Shampoo! Crafted using skin-soothing ophytrium, this shampoo restores the balance of protective microbes and relieves itchy irritated skin.
Additionally, you can feel secure knowing that this product is free from sulfates, soaps, dyes, parabens, and nanoparticles – only providing your pet with pure skincare goodness! It not only protects their coat but also leaves a sleek shine due to its moisturizing formula.
- Super soft and moisturized coat
- Vet recommended
- Free of soaps and sulfates
- Immediate Relief
- Strong coconut odor
- High price
8. Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
This shampoo contains oatmeal and essential oils to calm your dog’s irritated skin.
Instantly reduce your pup’s itching and provide soothing relief to their skin with Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs! Crafted by experienced veterinarians, this solution contains oatmeal, d-limonene, essential oils, tea tree oil, and a special combination of essential natural ingredients that help cleanse away allergens while calming sensitive skin. Make sure you give it a try
Your furry friend will smell fresh spa day after each wash without jeopardizing topical flea or tick treatments. Keep your amigo safe from skin allergies today with Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs!
- Formulated by Veterinarians
- Contains essential soothing oils
- Safe to use even with tropical tick and flea treatments
- Poor lathering
- Pungent odor
9. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Dog Shampoo
A shampoo that’s specifically designed for extremely dry skin and dermatitis
Specifically designed to treat mange dermatitis symptoms and seborrhea as well as other bacterial or parasitic infections, Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Shampoo stands out from the pack with its unique blend of micronized sulfur, salicylic acid, and coal tar.
It soothes while eliminating scaling; plus, rashes and inflammation disappear instantly! Oatmeal & allantoin help hydrate skin which rapidly starts the healing process.
- Balanced pH for dogs
- Free of soaps, dyes, and parabens
- Ultra Hydrating and recommended by vets
- Antiseborrhic and Antiparasitic
- This product may irritate your pet’s eyes.
10. Zymox Enzymatic Dogs & Cat Leave-on Conditioner
This shampoo uses natural ingredients and enzymes to reduce inflammation and calm irritated skin.
Zymox Enzymatic Dogs & Cat Leave-on Conditioner is a revolutionary new product that provides powerful protection from minor skin irritations and inflammations due to bacterial or fungal microorganisms.
This innovative leave-on conditioner utilizes three enzymes for the most comprehensive topical defense. Made of natural ingredients, this safe and gentle solution can be used on all sizes and ages of pets. Protect your beloved pet with Zymox today!
- Made of natural ingredients
- Safe to use on all ages and breeds of dogs
- Vet recommended
- Shampoo available too
- Some pet owners may not like its strong odor
Dealing with itchy skin can vex you and your canine companion, so we hope our comprehensive reviews have helped you find something that will bring relief! Any of the dog shampoos above will make an excellent remedy if your pooch is suffering from itchy skin.
However, please remember that when using flea/tick products on your pet, there are particular instructions about getting them wet or bathing after applying these treatments, so please consult your vet for more information and tailor the products accordingly.
We wish you and your furry companion many happy days of itch-free playtime!
Have you tried a good shampoo? Let us know which you think is the best dog shampoo for itchy skin!